In the startup world, almost everyone’s heard of Product Hunt. The site, which is dedicated to showing off interesting new apps and products, is one of the best ways to reach new customers, investors, and potential employees. But launching on Product Hunt–and being featured on Product Hunt’s homepage–is as much art as it is science.
Product Hunt calls themselves “a place for product-loving enthusiasts to share and geek out about the latest mobile apps, websites, hardware projects, and tech creations.” It’s also amazingly influential and one of Silicon Valley’s most important tastemakers.
The Product Hunt team recently published a detailed guide to How to Launch On Product Hunt that covers all the basics of appearing on Product Hunt.
Here are the biggest takeaways from Product Hunt’s guide:
Launching On Product Hunt: Important Things To Do Beforehand
- List your mentors, advisors & evangelists: Create a list of people you can ask to promote your Product Hunt launch on social media. Don’t spam your network with mass tweeting or emails the day before you launch on Product Hunt; have your strategy set up in advance.
- Start building an audience right away: Using a Product Hunt Upcoming Page or a landing page, collect email addresses from users who are interested in your future product.
Launching On Product Hunt: Adding Your Product To Product Hunt
- Post your product on Product Hunt: Add your product to Product Hunt, and then get ready to…
- Add your links: Make sure to link to your product or company website as well as to your mobile apps or download sites–your goal, after all, is to make as many people aware of your product as possible.
- Type in the name of your product and a very short tagline: Your goal here is to explain what your product is, what its value is, and the bare minimum of what users should know.
- Upload a thumbnail: Upload a static image or GIF that grabs viewers’ attention and offers a value proposition about why your product matters.
- Create a gallery: Upload at least two photo or video assets showing off your product. Remember that if you upload a video, the video will always show off first. Product Hunt recommends you upload at least one “tweetable” image or GIF that is rectangular and shares well on social media. Images and GIFs should be under 3MB
- Choose your topics: Choose 3-4 topics for your product that accurately describe it.
- Add your makers: Add the Product Hunt usernames of everyone that worked on the product. That means creating Product Hunt accounts for everyone on your team!
- Add a maker’s comment: Add a comment briefly introducing yourself, your team, and the problem your product solves. This comment should be 3-4 sentences long.
Once you launch, an email is sent to the makers’ followers on Product Hunt announcing the launch.
Launching On Product Hunt: Other Resources
How To Launch On Product Hunt (Medium)